Braces vs Invisalign
At All About Teeth, we understand the value of your smile and invest our efforts into keeping it in tip top condition! When it comes to orthodontic options, the big question everyone is asking lately is, whether to opt for traditional braces or the alternative, Invisalign.
Although fairly different in appearance, both braces and Invisalign are designed to straighten your teeth while improving your overall oral health. Working with Invisalign and braces, our experienced professionals at All About Teeth will be able to give you an idea on which method is most suitable to the needs of your smile.
If you are considering orthodontic treatment but are struggling to choose between the two options, here is a comparison to help you make your choice.
• Braces have a longer treatment time that can span between 6 months to 2 years.
• They are fixed to your teeth until the desired results are obtained, which depending on the nature of your problem, usually happens over a period of one to two years.
• Braces can be used to fix extensive and serious orthodontic problems which include:
- Crowded teeth
- Protruding teeth
- Crooked teeth
• Patients who opt for braces are required to have their wires tightened about every 4 weeks.
• Regular brushing and flossing are required for people with braces as food often gets stuck around the metal brackets.
• Hard or chewy foods should be avoided during the treatment as you could cause the wires to break.
Advantages of braces include:
1. They help in improving a patient’s bite
2. The current treatment is less obvious than in previous years, there is now the option for ‘Clear or Ceramic Braces’ which are less noticeable than the traditional metal ones.
3. The colour of the brackets and elastic can be adjusted to closely match the colour of your teeth.
• Invisalign treatment time averages between 6 months to 2 years depending on your needs.
• The aligners need to be worn for roughly 22 hours a day.
Advantages of Invisalign include:
1. The aligners are removable. They can be removed when eating, meaning that there is little effect to your diet
2. Customised and developed to feel comfortable within your mouth
3. The aligners are transparent and discreet
4. Less trips to the dentist!
5. A better oral regime as the aligners can be removed to clean your teeth.
It is important to note that while Invisalign is a removable and discreet way to straighten your teeth, if you do not wear the aligners you will not see the desired results in the expected time frame. Braces, however, are an irremovable option that is almost usually guaranteed to work over a certain time frame.
All About Teeth
While the choice depends on you, your needs and which option you believe will best suit your lifestyle – if your case is of a serious nature, Invisalign treatment may not be suitable. This can only be established after a consultation with our trained professionals. Book an appointment with us today and we will help you on your journey to a better smile.