Regular dental visits can prevent major dental problems from occurring
Preventative dentistry is the first line of defence for the oral health and hygiene of patients. It’s important to look at the entire mouth and surrounding areas to make sure a person is healthy and there are no immediate problems.
Preventative dentistry isn’t just about maintaining your natural teeth; it’s an important step in achieving general well being. By having a simple oral health regime of brushing and flossing daily, making regular visits to your dentist and eating nutritious foods are all great ways to achieve a healthy mouth for life.
There are many procedures involved in general dentistry from a simple teeth cleaning to root canal therapy and dental fillings. Here at All About Teeth we are proud to offer patients the following general dentistry procedures:
What happens at a dental check-up?
During your visit to All About Teeth Townsville, we will conduct an examination to look for potential gum problems, tooth wear and alignment, tooth decay and generally evaluate your overall dental health.
In some cases we may take radiographs of your teeth to check the areas we cannot easily see. Following this, we will professionally clean your teeth to remove plaque and tartar deposits from areas difficult to reach when brushing and flossing.
This appointment gives us the opportunity to address any potential problems in their early stages, thereby minimising the amount of treatment that may be required and minimising your dental treatment costs.
How often should I have a check-up and clean?
The dentists at All About Teeth in Townsville recommend their patients come in for regular dental check ups every six months. After your check-up with the dentists, they will recommend a date for your next appointment. How soon your next appointment will be dependant on your individual case.
Some patients are more predisposed to certain oral health issues like gum disease, tooth decay or oral cancer. These patients will need to come in for more regular check ups.
Scheduling regular dental check-ups will help the team at All About Teeth find any dental issues early, and potentially save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
It’s better to diagnose potential dental problems early and get them treated before they turn into something more serious. Having regular, scheduled dental check-ups and cleans can offer many benefits to not only your oral health but also your overall health.
- Preventing gum disease – Gum disease is often caused by plaque build up on teeth and along your gum line due to poor oral health hygiene. If gum disease is left untreated, this inflammation can cause the gums and the supporting bone structure to deteriorate and can lead to gum recession or tooth loss.
- Keep your pearly whites white – Regular teeth cleanings from your Townsville dentist at All About Teeth will help remove surface stains on your teeth that can be caused by some lifestyle factors like eating dark foods and drinks.
- Keep your natural teeth – Poor oral hygiene can often cause once healthy teeth to fall out or decay. Your natural teeth are far better than any restoration available today and keeping them will be the best thing for your dental health. Brushing and flossing regularly between check-ups is important.
- Prevent bad breath – No one likes bad breath and one of the best ways to prevent this is regular check-ups and a good oral health routine.
- Support overall health – Recent high profile studies have linked gum disease to strokes, and even heart attacks. Although these particular studies are still in their infancy, regular teeth cleanings could potentially lessen your risk of having a stroke or developing heart disease.
When was your last check-up and clean? To book in your six monthly check-up with the Townsville dentists at All About Teeth contact us here.
Just because you are unaware of your symptoms, does not mean that they aren’t there and so it is always vitally important that you schedule regular dental check-ups in order for a qualified dentist to make that assessment. When you come in for regular dental check-ups you also give us the chance to not only clear up any existing concerns but to prevent any further damage from occurring. Gum disease is notorious for being very difficult to pick up on your own and the only way to do so sometimes is to make an appointment for a check-up.
There are many ways that we can assist you in your quest for a healthy smile and the most obvious of these is naturally your own approach to dental hygiene. Brushing twice a day and flossing are essential in fighting the prevalence of gum disease and tooth decay. Continuity in care is something that we take very seriously here and when we have the chance to perform regular dental check-ups, we are in a far better position to catch and treat problems early in their development.
As people, our instinct can sometimes be to only visit the dentist when we feel like there is something wrong. The problem with this approach seems quite obvious, you are not a dentist or an oral professional who has spent years training to detect and assess concerns of the mouth. Tooth decay is a good example of this and only starts to give you pain once it has reached the nerve ending. We can detect your cavities up 3 or 4 years earlier than seeing the visible effects.